Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Victory Gardens

In my frenzied nesting before Windham was born, I ripped up the front yard to put in our new vegetable boxes. I had become interested in eating locally as well as connecting with my neighbors by putting the garden in the front yard.

We had already been moving in that direction when we built the berm in the parking strip in front of the house. The neighbor kids helped shovel compost, our neighbor Kim offered peony seeds and Laramie met new folks by inquiring about different plants she liked and wanted for our own.

In an attempt toward more self-sufficiency, we planted lettuce and kale and arugula, broccoli, brussel sprouts and cilantro. Tomato plants and basil were welcome gifts from generous friends who put up with me proselytizing about how messed up our food system is and Michael Pollan wrote this and blah, blah blah.

I found this video via DigginFood and think it is great idea.



And on another level, is there anything cooler than Harper toddling into the yard, ripping off a handful of kale or broccoli and stuffing it into her mouth. A toddler who happily and enthusiastically eats her vegetables. Right on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Front yard's are often underused so bravo! Hope you post some photos. Broccoli has got to be my all time favourite thing to eat fresh from the garden. Is that weird.

Anonymous said...

ps. I made small mention of you on my blog if you want to take a quick peek. ;-)

Jenn said...

The White House will get a vegetable garden:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/09/03/20/Spring-Gardening/

HURRAY.