Friday, August 1, 2008

Our First S24O

An s24o is a less than 24 hour overnight biking trip. Load up with one night's worth of gear and you are off. For our inaugural trip it was me, Harper and Maddy.

We loaded up Eliza the bicycle with most of the gear and Harper and headed for the 11:25am ferry to Bainbridge Island. The ride to the campground was lovely and not too hilly but we worked up a sweat to be sure. Well, Maddy and I did. Harper squealed "WEE, WEE" for the first half of the 6 miles and slept for the last half.

Fay Bainbridge State Park is the only camping option on Bainbridge and as we rode up to the camping area, there were 3 parties and 2 sites left. We offered to share a small site with a party of two, but they deferred to us, since we were on our bikes (sweet). We set up camp and played at the beach all afternoon. We spent a good deal of time throwing rocks into the water, singing and just doing nothing.

On a side note: Maddy and I realized we very rarely do nothing. There is always something to do, an errand, pay a bill, clean. The joy of this trip was that for 3-4 hours that afternoon, we had no other options. I must say, doing nothing with Harper is the best time a girl can have. Kids are wonderful that way. They bring an amazing amount of much needed nothing time.

Back to camping. Laramie and Windham stopped by with Mary, Josh and Anders to say hello as we were making our dinner. Quesidillas with kale, zucchini, garlic whips, avocado and salsa. I only burned the first one and the rest turned out delicious.

Early to bed, early to rise. We packed up our campsite after coffee, fruit and fried bagels. Our ride back was lovely and calm, right up until Maddy tried some stunt riding and flipped over her handlebars. She earned some well deserved oohs and aahs for her road rash and bloody knee. She escaped any major harm and looks pretty butch as well.

As we arrived home, the neighbors were playing on a slip and slide. We kindly pushed the children out of the way and had a go. It was a refreshing way to end an awesome trip.

7 comments:

david said...

you are guys are the cutest. when i grow up i want to be a lesbian.

Anonymous said...

The costume was the best part. Roar!

Anonymous said...

Fun music too... what is that?

aubree said...

The song is Bittersweet Samba by Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass off the Whipped Cream & Other Delights Rewhipped.

Anonymous said...

Just showed my husband and we both commented about how nice and flat the videoed part of your trip was. *sigh* We live in a very hilly place here on the Island!

Loved seeing your video again!

aubree said...

Oh Annie, that flat bit was just a blip…Seattle and Bainbridge are mostly hills. Bainbridge even hosts the Chilly Hilly ride each Feburary. I spend a good part of my riding thoughts on minimizing the climbs. On the good side, Harper is so helpful and puts her hands on my backside to help push me up the hills. And the high-pitched "wee, wee" from behind make me smile the entire time.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm not so jealous anymore!

How cute of Harper to help. Lily's idea of "helping" is asking me why we're going so slow when I'm on the hardest part of a hill!

I don't mind hills- really! I just don't go fast on them. It's downhill to the grocery store (any anything else) and uphill home so I get a lot of practice on them.