Thursday, August 7, 2008

Better than Christmas

Last night Laramie gave me the best present ever…

I love bike riding. I love Laramie. I had a dream I could love the two together. Not so. Over the years I have tried to get Laramie to ride with me. Once I bribed her with with a beer and burger at the Redhook Brewery in Woodinville. I have made offers of a new bike, a new saddle, a new hoo-hoo, all in the spirit of riding together. Eventually I gave up the dream and let it go. Cycling would be my thing. Just like baking is her thing.

Last night she agreed to ride with me and the children down to the Farmer's Market. Harper on Eliza and Windham in the trailer on Laramie's bike. I secured the car seat to the trailer and Mr Chumbawamba had a ride fit for a king.

We rode, we shopped, we nibbled, we chatted with neighbors. Harper was at her wits end and crying as I attempted to strap her into the bike seat for the ride home. But as soon as we started moving, she was calm and quiet. We took the long way home to enjoy the warm evening. Ok, we also went the long way to find the smallest hills. I had an edge though. As we started to go up, Harper helped by putting her hands on my rear to help push us along.

As we rode the last few blocks, Laramie said, "I have to tell you something." She said, "I will ride with you. I don't know what it is, but riding with the kids is so much fun. I'm in"

It was the best gift she could have given me. Thanks sweets.

No comments: