Friday, September 26, 2008

The Girls Finally Earn Their Keep

This would be yet another example of my "going gangbusters" when I get a good idea.

And the good idea? CHICKENS. Mostly I hate chickens. I don't eat them. It's a long story involving chicken slaughtering, a bucket of feet and beaks and rocky Vermont soil. Buy me a beer and I will tell you the entire tale.

I organized a neighborhood chicken coop tour. Built the coop. Bought the chickens from Jerry at the Farmer's Market. Brought them home and gave them love.

And finally, one of the girls has started laying eggs.

On our way out of town last week, I was rushing around, getting water and food for the chickens. I poked my head inside their coop and what did I find? EGGS! Hooray. Harper and I did some celebratory dancing and woo-hoo-ing.

We gathered them up and took them to Portland.

Aren't they pretty?

They were delicious.


Our Chicken History: A Photo Essay














No comments: